Alyssa's Journey with Type 1 Diabetes





An outlet, a diary of sorts, a place for thoughts, a place to connect,
an expression of feelings about Juvenile Diabetes......



Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Schedule

I remember when I was a kid, the thing I looked forward to most during summer vacation was staying up late and not having to get up early in the morning. But when you have diabetes, its important to stay on a schedule. I have to admit, over the past several weeks we have slept a little later each morning so that now we get up between 7:30-8 as apposed to the 6:00 am alarm when school was in. And Alyssa is going to bed around 10:30-11 pm, when her school year bed time is 8:30-9... well she usually falls asleep somewhere around that time and we put her in her bed :)

I knew last night Alyssa had stayed up later than usual watching a movie. I woke up at 7:40 this morning, pricked her finger (she slept through it) blood glucose level was 147. I made her breakfast (3 little pancakes, sugar free syrup & a cup of milk is exactly 60 grams of carbohydrates), walked her sleepily into the kitchen and she started eating as I made her injections. I gave her her Lantus and Novolog and then proceeded with making coffee and cleaning up the kitchen. When I turned around, I noticed that Alyssa wasn't at the breakfast bar, so I went looking for her and this is where I found her.......

No comments:

Post a Comment