Alyssa's Journey with Type 1 Diabetes





An outlet, a diary of sorts, a place for thoughts, a place to connect,
an expression of feelings about Juvenile Diabetes......



Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sneaky Sneaky

Having diabetes stinks and I think it does even more so for a kid.  For the most part Alyssa manages her diabetes very well, knowing that she needs to check if she can have something before she puts it in her mouth.  I try not to keep the joys of sweets from her, my theory is anything in moderation.  She knows that even if she can't have a sweet at the moment she asks, she can save it for later when she can.  This decision is based on her glucose level, how soon it is to a mealtime, her activity level, and the amount of time before she goes to bed.

Yesterday with dinner she asked if she could have a low-sugar Klondike ice cream bar.  The dessert has 25 grams of carbohydrates and so I said that she could have it for desert after she ate her dinner.  With the ice cream, her dinner total came to 75 grams of carbohydrates (Normally 60).  Before dinner her blood glucose level was 144 (good).  Her insulin ratio is 1 unit for every 20 grams of carbohydrates, and because her bg's were good, no correction was needed.  So I gave her 3 1/2 units of Novolog.  All was good. 

At her bedtime glucose check her level was 166 and if they are under 200, she has a night time snack that is 15 grams of carbohydrates to balance her blood sugar level through the night.  She normally handles this on her own, and I'll call out to her, "What's your sugar?" she usually tells me what it is and I tell her if she needs a snack or not.  Well, I told her to get herself a snack (she has her own cabinet full of snacks all that are 15 grams of carbs or less)  However, miss flossy decided that she wanted to have another ice cream bar.  So, I'm in my room on my laptop and I hear my husband ask Alyssa if mom said she could have this ice cream?  "Alyssa!!" She had taken one bite.  Anyway, I had her wrap it up, promising she could have it the next day.  Diabetes is tricky and nights can produce dangerous lows or highs depending on her level of activity and pattern of bg's for the day.  That is why I choose to give her 15 grams of complex carbohydrate snacks that include protein before bedtime instead of sugary treats that can cause spikes and morning highs.  

I know it's tough to not be able to eat what she wants anytime she wants, and trust me, she didn't forget what I told her as she had her ice cream bar with her lunch this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment