Alyssa's Journey with Type 1 Diabetes





An outlet, a diary of sorts, a place for thoughts, a place to connect,
an expression of feelings about Juvenile Diabetes......



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer vacay & Getting ready for August 25th....ughhhh

Last Wednesday Alyssa got her cast off!  Yay!  We left for the beach Thursday morning and spent 4 fun filled days there.  The diabetes behaved for the most part while we were there.  She was extremely active, as you can imagine after having to wear a cast for 7 weeks and now finally able to jump in a pool.  Alyssa's glucose levels are very sensitive to activitiy, so we did have a couple of low's, but all in all it was a great time for her! 

I am a full-time student and classes start for me on August 15th.  So, this week I am trying to get all my ducks in a row as the following week the kids will be going back as well.  Today I opened up the care plan packet that I need to fill out for Alyssa's school.  When she was diagnosed we were half way through the year and the nurse walked me through the paperwork in her office, so I really do not recall all of this.  Plus I was a little overwhelmed at the time..... This whole "504 plan" is quite confusing.  I do understand that it means that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in school and that accomodations have to be made for children with illnesses, handicaps, asthma, allegies and diabetes.  However I do not understand why I have to go in for a meeting with the "504 Board" so they can decide if she falls under the act!?!  She clearly is diabetic, and clearly needs to be able to check her glucose levels and have her insulin injections during school.


No comments:

Post a Comment