Alyssa's Journey with Type 1 Diabetes





An outlet, a diary of sorts, a place for thoughts, a place to connect,
an expression of feelings about Juvenile Diabetes......



Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Diabetes Blog Week: One Great Thing 5/15/2012


Managing Alyssa’s diabetes is a lot of work and I do find that I become obsessed with glucose levels and calculating everything that she puts in her mouth.  It can become the center of your life; like many D-moms, Alyssa’s diabetes is the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night. 
There are many times I feel overwhelmed and get frustrated when her numbers aren’t good or when she suffers with a lows.  And then I remember I’m not the one with the disease.  What I do try to remind myself is Alyssa is a child and she just wants to be like every other almost 9 year old. 
It’s impossible to be perfect, but there are many things that she does spectacularly!! Alyssa knows when she isn’t felling right and she will immediately go for her meter and check her BG and she’s not embarrassed about it…she’ll pull it out anywhere.  If it’s low, she goes for a juice box and a lot of times she’s treating her low before I even know what’s going on. 
This has helped lift some of my fear—I don’t stress as much when she’s playing outside or when she’s at cheer practice because I feel confident that she knows to address any change in how she feels right away.  More importantly, this has given Alyssa the opportunity to be more like other kids her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment