Alyssa's Journey with Type 1 Diabetes





An outlet, a diary of sorts, a place for thoughts, a place to connect,
an expression of feelings about Juvenile Diabetes......



Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mom Going Back to Work: Afterschool and Diabetes

So we are in the 3rd week of school.  Alyssa has adjusted well to her school schedule.  I recently started working part time in the afternoons, so she has also started going to after school care for the first time in her life.  The great thing is that one of the diabetes care managers at her school is also the director of the after school program.   

Alyssa also started cheer & tumble.  I’ve made sure I check her sugar and give her a snack before the class so that her levels stay balanced.  We’ve have 2 classes and she hasn’t gone low either time.  When she was first diagnosed, she was in the middle of basketball season and even with snacks beforehand, she still ended up going low.  We ended up giving her 2-3 snack during 1 practice.   I think it was the honeymoon period, so now she’s a little more leveled off.

I had a project this week that had to be on a medical specialty.  Of course I chose Pediatric Diabetes.  I am not one that enjoys talking in front of a class, but it was a little easier because it was a topic that was so important to me.

We are just 22 days away from our first JDRF walk.  If you have donated I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  More than 13,000 children are diagnosed with Type 1 every year and it is important that we find a cure!  We’ve risen just over $400 through the internet in Alyssa honor.  We feel so blessed that so many people love our baby girl!  We also have more than 20 walkers signed up to walk with us!  It’s very emotional for me to think about our friends and family that are willing to take a stand against this disease and support the research that will lead to a cure.  I love you guys!!

I’m working on T-shirts for Alyssa’s Angels!  I’ll post pictures once I get the final draft!  So, my life’s a bit crazy right now, but I am excited about everything that is going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment